Portarlington is situated on the Laois/Offaly county boundary, 19km from Portlaoise and 27km from Tullamore, 11km from Junction 15 on the M7 motorway and 14km from 14, at Monasterevin. Portarlington is located on the Dublin-Cork rail line and is provided with regular train services to Dublin. The rail line also provides services to Tralee, Limerick, Ennis, Galway and Ballina/Westport. In terms of local government, the town has dual administration; approximately 75% of the urban area is in County Laois and the remaining 25% is located in County Offaly. The County Boundary is formed by the River Barrow, which flows immediately west of the town centre.
Portarlington is arranged around a long linear historical core which runs west to east from Patrick Street, through Market Square, to Main Street. Main Street is a relatively narrow street, fronted by a variety of two and three-storey buildings which maintain a continuous building line. A significant number of the buildings along Main Street are Protected Structures, a number of which date back to the mid-eighteenth century and which together contribute to the creation of a pleasant and varied streetscape. Market Square, at the northern end of Main Street, provides a focal point within the town centre. Market House, a protected structure in the centre of the Square and which dates to the mid-eighteenth century, remains in active commercial use. Main Street operates as a one-way street for traffic, with a relief road (R420) skirting the eastern edge of the town providing the principal route for traffic through the town.
Land available in Portarlington
View the lands and business sites available in Portarlington.